JACOB JR, MY JEWISH WORLD. YITZKHAK VINER, JEWISH-POLISH-POET



Sunday, Elul 1, 5776. September 4 , 2016.

Shalom! World.

IT IS GOOD TO HAVE TWO EYES
YITZKHAK VINER

"I. It is good to have two eyes.
Anything I want, they can see:
Boats, trains, horses and cars,
everything around me.

But sometimes I just want to see
Someone's laughter, sweet...
Instead I see his corps outstretched,
Lying in the street...

When I want to see his laughter
his eyes are closed forever...

II. It is good to have two ears.
Anything I want, they can hear:
Songs, plays, concerts, kind words,
Street cars, bells, anything near.

I want to hear kid's voices sing,
but my ears only hear the shrill cries
and fear of two children watching a man as he dies...

When I long for a youthful song
I hear children weeping hard and long...

Every year I can till the land.
Banging iron night and day
Fashions wheels to plow the clay

But now wheels are silentand still
And people's hands are obsolete:
The houses grow cold and dark
As hands dig a grave in defeat...

Still it is good to have two hands:
I write poems in which the truth still stands."

Yitzkhak Viner was a Jewish poet who was imprisoned in the Lodz Ghetto during World War II. He wrote poems about the Shoah (Holocaust)  in Yiddish.

Shalom! Aleichem.

Cultural Support:  Jacob Jr. B.A.C.E., avec L'Integration d'Association avec Israel et dans le Monde/Cz.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JACOB JR. MY JEWISH WORLD. PETITE FRANCE BOULANGERIE AND PATISSERIE. PRAHA - CZECH REPUBLIC.

JACOB JR. MY JEWISH WORLD. CACAO COFFEE. PRAHA - CZECH REPUBLIC.

JACOB JR, MY JEWSIH WORLD. JEWISH CEMETERY. TURNOV - CZECH REPUBLIC